Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Why women should know how to fight.

I thought I'd write about this since I always get such strong reactions when I say that women learning a form of martial arts or combat sport should be mandatory.
I'm always met with 'Why should women live in fear' and 'women...and not men huh?'
Maybe it's just me but I find those answers so.... inane. Your idea of rebelling against the unfairness of this world is by... NOT adapting to it?
No women shouldn't walk around being afraid of getting attacked sexually or in any way. The fact that it shouldn't be that way doesn't stop it
from being a reality some women will have to face unfortunately.
It is a sad thing that it's dangerous for a woman to walk late at night by herself listening to music through headphones..or that's its probably not the best idea to jog in the park at 5am  in the morning.

There are a lot of things that are unfair in this world. NOT knowing how to protect yourself is only doing yourself a great disservice as a woman.
I personally practiced taekwondo for nearly 10 years before giving it a rest for 5 years. I recently started Practicing Seido Karate and boy..I deeply regret those 5 years I didn't practice martial arts. I forgot how much I loved it. Why I was so devoted. It's actually kinda funny because people I got to know in those 5 years I didn't practice were shocked to hear I had taken up Karate and boxing. I'm not at ALL aggressive by nature and i'm quite frankly the last person to start a fight but I've always thought it was extremely important to know how to protect myself.  I Happen to LOVE to fight as a sport though so it's been an important part of my life  since I was a kid and Thank god till this day I've never been in a situation where I had to fight to save my life. But knowing that I know how to fight If I needed it has no doubt given me self confidence and spine to stand a little taller and be a little bolder in my everyday life. It'll be the worst day of your life if you come at me man OR woman. I deeply enjoy fighting for sports so imagine if you came at me threatening my life or god forbid someone I love....HA. it's over. one of us is dying in that fight. probably you lol.

Now some women don't enjoy combat sports and I get it....you shouldn't have to, if you don't like it.
Do it anyway. It might end up saving your life one day if god forbid you find yourself in a situation you might have to fight your way out of with women or men.

your kid doesn't like karate class? No play dates, tv, barbie dolls...whatever until she takes her little behind to karate/taekwondo/boxing or whatever combat spot
you enrolled her in. Drag her ass to class kicking and screaming. It should be non negotiable and a part of your child's life from day ONE.
 she certainly does not need to make a career out of it,and after she's 18 she's more than welcome to stop practicing should she wish to. 
at that point she already knows she can fight if she needs to.
even knowing how to fight doesn't guarantee you'll win a fight. but it'll give you a fighting chance in a situation where NOT knowing how to fight could
mean life or death,
It doesn't matter if you're 50 and have never taken a self defense class a day in your life. it's never too late to start, do it now. 
if you have kids, boy OR girl, enroll them tomorrow. I'm stressing the urgency for women to do it because we are not born physically strong. well..some are lol but most of us.. we have to work for it.
 it is that simple. if you get into a situation where you have to fight a dude and you don't know how to...well that would be unfortunate wouldn't it?
Like I said, even after you learn how to fight...you might still lose. This is simply to increase your chances in that situation or to make getting away possible. it's to protect yourself/loved ones if something happened.

Learn how to take a punch. a hard one. learn how to get up after taking a beating. Learn to adjust when fighting an aggressor much bigger than you, faster than you....an aggressor holding a weapon. 2 aggressors...3 aggressors. 
learn to compensate when you're injured and still have to fight.
learn to be unafraid,brave and aggressive in a situation where someone is trying to seriously hurt you. 
spar with men and women bigger and stronger than you. Spar with fighters that will  knock the shit out of you until you learn how to handle it.
Learn not to panic when you realize the kind of danger you're in. once that moment is there, it's there. you can only count on yourself and while you
might not know what's going to happen or how it's going to end but what absolutely cannot happen is, you panicking or losing your shit. 
we can't always control how we react in a situation and the best of us still could panic and freeze in a stressful situation. That's something
that's out of our hands and there isn't much that can be done about it. but most of the time that panic comes from a place of fear of not knowing what to do.
so learn what to do.

There are things you as a woman NEED to know. weather you're a model, housewife, lawyer, maid, doctor, janitor, actress...whatever. It is of my STRONG opinion that knowing how to fight and protect yourself can only benefit you as a woman. 

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment